Journalistic balance vs. truth
As Steve Benen detailed yesterday, a new study from the Campaign for America's Future found that Republicans have broken the single-term record for filibusters this year already, with more than a year to go in the session:
* Ending the disastrous occupation of Iraq.
* Providing health insurance to millions more kids.
* Empowering Medicare to negotiate for lower prescription drug prices.
* Taking away handouts to Big Oil so we can invest in renewable energy.
* Repealing the effective ban on embryonic stem cell research.
* Investing more in health research.
* Making it easier for workers to join unions.
* Investing more in fighting poverty and training workers.
Reid has been accused, by Republicans and Democrats alike, of filing these so-called cloture motions to cut off debate very, very quickly, rather than letting the Senate continue to work its will through debate and amendments. This is a "record" that Reid and Republicans both should take "credit" for