Nasty Letters To Crooked Politicians

As we enter a new era of politics, we hope to see that Obama has the courage to fight the policies that Progressives hate. Will he have the fortitude to turn the economic future of America to help the working man? Or will he turn out to be just a pawn of big money, as he seems to be right now.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Starving Out the Iraqi Vote

Some Just Voted for Food

Inter Press Service
Dahr Jamail

*BAGHDAD, Jan 31 (IPS) - Voting in Baghdad was linked with receipt of
food rations, several voters said after the Sunday poll.*

Many Iraqis said Monday that their names were marked on a list provided
by the government agency that provides monthly food rations before they
were allowed to vote.

”I went to the voting centre and gave my name and district where I lived
to a man,” said Wassif Hamsa, a 32-year-old journalist who lives in the
predominantly Shia area Janila in Baghdad. ”This man then sent me to the
person who distributed my monthly food ration.”

Mohammed Ra'ad, an engineering student who lives in the Baya'a district
of the capital city reported a similar experience.

Ra'ad, 23, said he saw the man who distributed monthly food rations in
his district at his polling station. ”The food dealer, who I know
personally of course, took my name and those of my family who were
voting,” he said. ”Only then did I get my ballot and was allowed to vote.”

”Two of the food dealers I know told me personally that our food rations
would be withheld if we did not vote,” said Saeed Jodhet, a 21-year-old
engineering student who voted in the Hay al-Jihad district of Baghdad.

Link to story...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home